As many of you are already aware Energy Performance Certificates become mandatory for all new lets starting from the 1st of October 2008. Some of the rules for this are still unclear from the Local Government responsible for this but I can confirm the following:-
- It is mandatory for all new lets.
- An Energy Performance Certificate will be valid for 10 years.
- It can be renewed at anytime should the Landlord have carried out any work to improve the efficiency of the property.
- An EPC will not be required for the renewal of a tenancy
- We still await confirmation of the situation where one or more of a group of sharers change.
- It applies to all residential tenancies regardless of the tenure type.
- An EPC must be available to any prospective tenant before they have committed to the property or have viewed the property.
- An EPC will comment on any white goods left as part of the inventory of the property.
- The tenant must be provided with a copy of the EPC before the start of the tenancy.