Q. I’m renting a house that has some damp in one of the bedrooms. The landlord has said this is nothing to worry about, but I believe he should rectify the problem, and if he doesn’t I should leave even though I still have another 8 months to run on our tenancy agreement. Where do I stand?

A. I’m afraid a little damp on the wall would not give you the right to terminate your tenancy agreement. Is it clear whether the damp is actual damp or perhaps condensation? Are you opening the windows daily to air the apartment fully? Landlords have a responsibility under section 11 of the housing act to maintain the structure of the building and it would be advisable for him to investigate the problem. There are a number of reputable companies that investigate damp that will carry out a free investigation on the property and compile a report with their findings.