October marks the roll out of energy certificates (EPC’s) to all buildings. The government has recently updated the energy performance of buildings regulations for energy performance certificates, responding to both consumer and industry needs. The infrastructure is now in place to support 1st of October to go live when the certificate will be extended to rented homes, commercial properties under 2,500m2 and all remaining homes for sale including those on the market before the phased introduction of EPC’s for domestic properties in 2007. By 1st of October public buildings will also need to have a Display  Energy Certificate. Below is a clear description on both residential properties for sale and for let.

Domestic Property to be let;

From 1st October an EPC must be available to prospective tenants. However you only need to get one when you are looking to create a new tenancy. Properties  currently let do not need one nor will they if an existing tenant signs a new lease or the tenancy goes periodic. The EPC lasts up to 10 years.

Domestic Properties For Sale;

After much confusion the Minister has confirmed that all residential properties for sale, marketed after the 1st October, will need an EPC. This does not mean that pre-HIP properties now need a HIP, only an EPC. In addition the pre-HIP properties can continue to be marketed from 1st October whilst you sort out the EPC. The EPC has to be made available “as soon as possible”. The EPC lasts up to 3 years.